Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Introducing our newest Alley Cat.........



Well, today is the DAY! We have a new arrival that we can't WAIT to introduce to you. She's sweet, cute, an adorable mom, a creative writer, and a complete dahling!
Are you ready to meet her?

Image courtesy of Salvatore Vuono / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
We are pleased to welcome, Laurie Tomlinson, to The Alley.

If you know her, then you probably won't be surprised by her answers to our Alley questions. If you don't know her, you'll probably enjoy getting to know her. She's fun...funny with a beautiful heart for God. But first, here's a little personal snippet about her:

Laurie Tomlinson is a wife and mom who writes stories of grace in the beautiful mess. When she's not writing, she enjoys car singing, baking, and going on adventures with her husband and little girl. 
(For the record, I also happen to know she's hopelessly addicted to emoticons and has an obssessive love for all things Potter)

Her first book won the 2013 ACFW Genesis Award (Contemporary), and her second is a current finalist in the 2014 Genesis Contest (Romance). She is represented by Rachel Kent of Books & Such Literary.
Let's put her through The Writer's Alley Interrogation for you :-)

Sherrinda: Where do you like to write and what is your writing ritual? 
My favorite place to write is at a little coffee shop in Tulsa called Nordaggio's on the squashy leather couch in front of the fire. Preferably when it's raining and with the door open. But usually, I like waiting until everyone in the house is in bed then stretching out on the couch with a big yellow puppy at my feet :)
 
Mary Vee: Do you play special music or a movie for each book? 
Great question! Music is very much linked to my writing. I have playlists for each book that go with what the characters are going through. When I'm writing, I also like to find songs that draw out certain moods/emotions that correspond with a scene.

Karen: What is it that draws you to writing?
This might sound weird, but I can't not write. When I go long periods without writing, I am a much grumpier person because the words won't leave me alone. 

Krista: If someone stuck a gun to your head and made you do the same activity for 24 hours straight without stopping... which of the following would you choose and why? Playing with Barbies... or watching Barney (complete with singing along to EVERY song…)?
I would definitely play with Barbies. I never played with them growing up, but I'd rather be able to use my imagination than listen to Barney. Now, if you replaced Barney with Bubble Guppies or Sofia the First, then this might be a different answer.

Julia: Besides writing, what else do you like to do in your few free moments?  Favorite Starbucks drink?
I love to cook and bake. It's kind of my love language! And in the same way I couldn't live without writing, I also couldn't live without singing. I am caught car singing at the top of my lungs way more than is socially acceptable.
My favorite Starbucks drink is a mocha chip frappuchino. But to maintain some semblance of self-control, I typically order a nonfat chai latte :) Not a big coffee drinker, I'll admit! *ducks*

Pepper: Name 3 of your fictional crushes and why? Do you have an overarching spiritual theme in your books?
Just three? :) Nathan from One Tree Hill, Captain Malcolm Reynolds from Firefly, and Hook from Once Upon a Time. They are brave, handsome, experience a lot of growth, and would do anything for their heroine. I'm going to cheat and add Tim Riggins to this list -- just because I can.
My writing tagline of sorts is "stories of grace in the beautiful mess". I want my writing to communicate above all that, no matter how messy life gets, there's no match for God's love and redemption and power to work good in the most unlikely situations. 

Ashley: Favorite boy band? When did you know you wanted to be a writer?
While most girls my age were swooning over NSync and Backstreet Boys, my all-time favorite was 98 Degrees! I know. Loved their lyrics. I may or may not have bought Nick Lachey's lullaby album "for my daughter" the second I discovered its existence.
I've known I wanted to be a writer probably since I was in the fourth grade. Creative writing was always my favorite exercise in school! I thought my novel writing would be my own secret hobby until I gathered the courage to join ACFW in 2013!


Amy: Best writer moment? Favorite food splurge? 

Wow! These are tough questions because I can't pick! There's a montage playing through my mind: getting good comments from my very first beta reader (my hubs), the first Genesis semifinal phone call in 2013, *the* long-awaited email from my soon-to-be agent during my weekly Hart of Dixie date with my sister-in-law, the camaraderie at conference of my critique partners and the writing sisters like you that I met there.

Favorite food splurges include: a good pasta meal (I'm Italian), chocolate mousse, white cheddar popcorn, Diet Dr. Pepper, and toffee chocolate chip cookies :)

Casey: Best book recommendation? Best all-time television series?

My favorite book ever is The Ragamuffin Gospel by Brennan Manning. Life-changing. And we are big TV watchers in the Tomlinson household. My all-time favorite varies on my mood, but if I had to pick one, it would be The Cosby Show. No, Boy Meets World or Growing Pains. Okay, maybe Parenthood

Did I mention Tim Riggins?

And there you have it! Please stop by and give Laurie a welcome.

 You can connect with Laurie at www.laurietomlinson.com or www.facebook.com/AuthorLaurieTomlinson.

18 comments:

Laurie Tomlinson said...

Yayyyy! The secret is finally out! So happy to be here :)

Karen @ a house full of sunshine said...

WOOHOO!!! So excited to have you with us, Laurie girl!! You are the most perfect fit for the Alley that we could have imagined. Everyone is going to love you as much as we already do!

Pepper said...

So excited to have you here, Laurie. And your answers make me laugh....you might be as indecisive and ADD as me!
It's so hard to choose between good stuff :-)

Jessica R. Patch said...

Congrats, alley cats! Great addition to an already wonderful group of ladies. :) Yay Laurie!

Amy Leigh Simpson said...

Nick Lachey lullabies?? Ha!!! Too funny! Loved learning more about you, sweetie. We are so happy to have you here as part of our family! :)

Angie Dicken said...

WELCOME, Laurie!!! So excited to have you as an Alley Cat!

Casey said...

It's about time the secret came out! So glad to have you here, Laurie! It's a good day!!

Jaime Wright said...

There's my girl!!! <3 <3 and you forgot mention you never sleep. ever. as evidenced by the bags under my eyes trying to keep up with you. ;)

Jill Lynn said...

Another rock star added to an already fabulous group! Congrats!

Sherrinda Ketchersid said...

Woot! Woot! Soooo glad to have you on board! And I must say, my secret crushes are also Nathan of OTH and Malcolm in Firefly! Oh my goodness....I have to say I love Nathan Fillian in Castle too.

You have great taste!

Jeanne Takenaka said...

Laurie! How exciting to see you here! I'm thrilled I'll have a chance to get to know you better through your posts here!

WELCOME! :)

Krista Phillips said...

Yeah!!!!!!! SOOOOO glad you're here and part of our group, Laurie!!!!

Savanna Kaiser said...

It's great to see you here, Laurie! I sure enjoyed getting to meet you last weekend and I look forward to reading what you have to share here on the Alley. :)

Laurie Tomlinson said...

You all have made me feel so special and warmly welcomed today! So happy to be here!

Mary Vee Storyteller said...

Yeah!!!
We can finally let everyone know you're here!!
I am terrible at keeping secrets.
Loved the answers to your questions. The cherry on the cake will be seeing you at the conference.
Yeeeee Haw!!!

Ashley Clark said...

Tim Riggins! Nice choice! :D

Welcome, Laurie! We are so happy to have you!!

Laurie Tomlinson said...

Mary - Conference IS going to be so much fun! I can't wait!

Ashley - I was so self-conscious when I read this that I mentioned him twice. I mean, seriously. Need to be better about playing it cool, but yeeesh!

Susan Anne Mason said...

Welcome, Laurie!

Cheers,
Sue