Friday, April 11, 2014

Pregnant Pause...



For those of you following on Facebook, no, in fact, I am no longer pregnant. Yippee! Pregnancy for some is a time of great anticipation and preparation. And while I can admit to feeling those things during those long nine months, most of my pregnancy days are more misery than anything else.

Last week of misery!
If you have children you know that life doesn’t exactly slow down when the pregnancy ends. Once that baby arrives life is more of a tailspin than ever. Well meaning individuals advise pregnant mothers to “sleep now” while you still can. And to “take time for yourself” because motherhood changes everything, including how much “you-time” you’ll have until your nest once again becomes empty.

But here’s the thing… Life doesn’t slow down or stop for anybody. There are seasons of sowing. Busy times of planning and plotting. There are seasons of growth, where the fruits of your labor need lots of nurturing—and energy you don’t always possess. And then, birth… and with it the beautiful product of your labor. Your baby. We are always moving forward, even in seasons of barrenness. But sometimes we need that time. That frustratingly unproductive pause in between, to breathe. To cultivate new ideas. New passions. New dreams. And new stories.

I have been in one of these seasons I like to think of as a sort of pregnant pause. I am anything but still. No less productive, though my productivity looks vastly different these days. My writing time is limited. My physical and emotional resources are tapped. And yet… I am gearing up, yearning to get back on the horse to embrace another season of writing and new stories to be told.

But while I wait here in this fissure between stories already woven and stories I’m desperate to unearth from my heart, I am finding something rejuvenating in the in-between. No, I wouldn’t call this time rest. And I’m certainly not “blocked” or uninspired.

I’m pregnant with anticipation, and filling up on dreams for the journey ahead. 

Alley Kitten - Eisley Violet Simpson born March 14, 2014


 
And I can’t wait to tell you about the stories God is preparing to birth in me! What about you? Tell me about YOUR baby! I’ve been out of touch for so long I’d love to hear about that little bun in your oven. And well, we’ve got to get those elevator pitches started for conference season. Hard labor, I know, but let’s hear some teasers about the next round of up-and-coming best-sellers. :)

Love and thanks for all the prayers and support!
-Amy & Eisley


*************************************************************************************************

Amy Leigh Simpson writes Romantic Suspense that is heavy on the romance, unapologetically honest, laced with sass and humor, and full of the unfathomable Grace of God. She is the completely sleep deprived mama to two little tow-headed mischief makers and wife to her very own swoon-worthy hero. Represented by the oh-so-wise and dashing Chip MacGregor of MacGregor Literary Inc.





15 comments:

Jeanne Takenaka said...

Loved this, Amy. And those pictures of Eisley? She is the cutest little girl I've seen in a long time! So sweet!

I am learning it takes me a long time to prepare to write as I figure out my characters, my bigger plot points and get a feel for the story. Throw in family drama and a traveling hubby, and my time is limited too.

The book I'm going to start , hopefully next month, is about a former child star who wants to stay invisible and the professional football player who was her dead husband's best friend. My story question is: What if, to live in freedom, you have to give up all that makes you feel safe?

I'm excited to write this one! :) I look forward to hearing more about the stories of your heart!

Pepper said...

YAY!!! It's one of my all time favorite new moms and her adorable EISLEY!!!

Love this note, Ames. It's interesting that many of us hit these 'pauses' around the same time...but it does make me wonder what amazing miracle God has planned on the due date He's chosen!

Ashley Clark said...

Seriously, I think she gets cuter every time I see her! :) Love this analogy, Ames! I don't have my elevator pitch yet but just had to throw that out there! :)

Laurie Tomlinson said...

I love love love your attitude about "seasons". So inspiring, as always, Amy Leigh!

I am ALMOST ready to send my latest to my agent, which you know all about. When you're ready to read it, let me know! I'll be working on elevator pitches next week, but the phrase that can't get out of my mind so far is:

There's more to life than just breathing... :)

Amy Leigh Simpson said...

Well, I'm obviously biased but she is pretty cute, huh! ;). I'm totally with on the slightly "single" parenting thing, Jeanne... My hubby often works straight through the weekend and my writing time definitely takes a hit.

Love your story idea, and your story question!!! Oo, I can just imagine that story! Can't wait to read it someday!!! Xo

Amy Leigh Simpson said...

I was thinking the same thing, Pepper! We obviously spend too much time together ;) (oh, I wish that were physically true!)

Amy Leigh Simpson said...

My elevator pitch isn't anywhere near ready either, Ash... Mainly because j have all of two chps of my story written. Not likely to be ACFW ready this year! But I'd still love to hear about what you're working on...

And thank you! Eisley's cuteness definitely melts my heart!

Amy Leigh Simpson said...

Laurie-love!! Oh I sooo love the concept of Sloane and Cooper's story! So relatable! Profound and yet fun! Winner in my book! Soon I'll get to sink my teeth in. Very soon! In fact, send it on over. I'll start it ASAP!

Casey said...

Eisley makes me happy from the inside out when I see her sweet little face. ♥ I'm going to meet her when I come to St. Lou if it's the last thing I do! ;)

I'm not currently trying to give birth to any kind of story at the time. But I admit to having a little bit of an itch to unearth a story idea and play with words again the page. A tiny itch, but one I hope to breath life into as the months go on. :)

Julia M. Reffner said...

What a great post! Love how you wove the them of pregnancy with our stories. I was talking to a devotional writing friend and I have some new ideas to fiddle with. Also, considering some magazine submissions this summer at her encouragement.

Mary Vee Storyteller said...

Great post, Amy!

Here ia teaser from mine:

The whole town stood to benefit from Nathan's success until the storm robbed them all.

Jeremiah 29:11For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

Amy Leigh Simpson said...

I can totally see you doing that, Julia! What an awesome idea!!! Can't wait to see where God leads :)

Amy Leigh Simpson said...

Very nice, Mare!! Stirs up lots of questions :)

Amy Leigh Simpson said...

I'm writing the first book in my new series about a small (fictional) town called Clover Falls involving a feisty undercover investigative journalist with a knack for trouble and dumb luck, and the towns prodigal bad boy on leave from the Navy SEALs who returns home to stage a cover up to save his best friend and disarm a deadly weapon. :) the series toys with the concept of luck vs. destiny. it's already too much fun!!! And I'm only on chp 3!

Laurie Tomlinson said...

Amy, are you going to write another book in six weeks with a newborn again?? :) I CAN'T WAIT TO READ THIS ONE!! EEEEEE! You had me at Navy Seal! And that heroine is totally your cup of tea :)